Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Radio Shack transmitter

Hello... I am an amateur when it comes to the R/C toys I have and am trying to get working.

I have a Radio Shack Wild Horse R/C truck but no transmitter for it.  I know the frequency should be 27.145 MHz so I purchased some cheap transmitters off the web with matching frequency, but they did not work properly.... basically they did not engage the steering or reverse.  I opened up the truck and adjusted the inductor to see if that would help, but it made no difference.

I then came across a very similar transmitter on eBay for a Radio Shack Wild Cougar, with the same frequency, just a slightly different model number on the transmitter.  I played with the adjustment inductor on both the truck and the new transmitter, and it still will not work properly.  The Radio Shack transmitter actually engages the steering now, but it still does not control the truck properly.

I suppose I have to wait until the exact model transmitter pops up somewhere?

Or replace the circuitry in the truck and get a universal transmitter (money I would rather not spend and I have no idea how to do this properly)?

Or is there some other option?

This is a pretty common question, and the easiest fix is... to get the exact transmitter. Which can be difficult. But your best chance is to setup saved searches on eBay and wait, because a lot of them do come up eventually.

Similar style transmitters from the same brand usually won't work unless they have the exact same functions. And even then, there's a chance they may still not work due to other subtleties in the circuitry that were designed for one car, but not another.

In the case of the Radio Shack Wild Horse - the Radio Shack Wild Pony transmitter might also work as this was a little brother to the bigger truck, and was released at the exact same time and had the same functions.

The Wild Horse was also sold as the Nikko Crazy Horse (since Nikko was the manufacturer). So that's another option to search for.

Going down the road of replacing the entire circuitry is a big job, but better than throwing the car in the bin 🤷‍♂️ However, the downside is the originality of the car will be ruined, if you ever want to sell it. Some buyers may appreciate a model with reworked electronics, but personally I would never buy one.

cheers,

Rob.

That's what I sort of thought..... thank you for the reply!