Forum

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Latest acquisition, Max Hopper 4WD

Just have this coming in a couple weeks, can't find much about this exact car.  Just stumbled across it on Ebay, and it grabbed me.  Gave 175 for it but all in, about 240. It's coming from Greece, and looks to have never been rolled:  Body is Great, tires, hard to tell but look decent, bottom is used but sure not bad.  Love the color, body style & completeness- Has box (Not great but that doesn't bother me,) paperwork etc.  Missing 1 light.  Anyone have specific info on this?  I'm cheesed!  Chris  REC

Uploaded files:
  • maxhopper4wd.jpg
  • sdview.jpg

Very nice. I had one of these a few years ago, but I let it go. It's essentially the same chassis as the Taiyo Jet Racer 4WD, and as that was the earlier model I stuck with owning that (I do have a lot of models, so it's hard to keep everything).

I always liked the yellow, and the driver figure. It was essentially a way of using that 4WD chassis, but with the "hopper" name/appearance. Definitely came out later than the Jet Racer 4WD though.

Pity about the missing light, but if you have a few parts cars it's easy to replace missing ones.

It's a bit newer true, but it'll look great in the collection.  It says 'MAX HOPPER" so it must be swell!  😏  I started looking for parts car again, but with all lights missing, bad tires & a scuffed body, chaps mostly still want too much.

I'm drawing the mold to CNC  some exact duplicates of the dang lights.  The old RC10 Classic little parts tree, that had some usable lights,  is now $60 (!)(Was 4.29)  for 2 fake lights- THAT level of profiteering constitutes rape with violence, and I'm not gonna take it anymore- I think these are totally doable.  I'll make a thread when I have something to show, hope to make these available for a reasonable price if it works out.  Chris  REC

Regarding the lights... I'm a stickler/dork for originality 😌 Would suggest to keep an eye out in case another Taiyo model (with same lights) can be picked up a bit more cheaply.

A huge amount of this hobby, is about patience and waiting for bargains 🤓 It's amazing what you can accumulate over time (as I'm sure you already know)

nostalgiarc1 has reacted to this post.
nostalgiarc1

I'm new here, but have been doing RC parts for 20 years and only do the best:  The goal is to not be able to tell these from factory, as I couldn't live with that & I need lights too!  This will be my 2nd time molding parts, but it ain't rocket surgery (I hope...)  😐

In a week I'll have my tool & have found material to cast with.  Mold will be CNC aluminum.  My only design question is if I want screw mounting or the factory melty nubbin- I'll try for nubbin first!  The plan is to do the bucket 1st, with a thin piece of scrap on top:  That will allow me to polish the mold and maintain a clean edge at the light/cap boundary.  Then cut the mount & nubbin, make a face plate that screws down & inject away.

Could all this go right down the toilet?  Sure!  But I'm gonna try it and have hope.  Also working to get the various Tyco/Hella/Daylighter decals for 'em so it'll all be one shot to replace the lights.  If I fall short, I won't bother to produce 'em:  But the need for these and the lack of options on such a rare piece tells me it's worth the shot.  Will know more in a couple weeks.  Chris  REC

Quote from Chris Cazan on May 13, 2022, 3:58 am

I'm new here, but have been doing RC parts for 20 years and only do the best:  The goal is to not be able to tell these from factory, as I couldn't live with that & I need lights too!  This will be my 2nd time molding parts, but it ain't rocket surgery (I hope...)  😐

I bet I'll be able to tell 😉  But nevertheless, I do wish you luck with it 🙂  I just wonder how much it will cost you.... but I guess once molded, you can make as many as you like. So I assume it's more about selling them, than restoring your own cars?

For $100 + post you can pick up a decent car with no transmitter, 4 lights, workable tyres, a restorable body with decent decals, and all the other bits...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/313987857463?hash=item491b227c37:g:NekAAOSwSwVidjPY

Betcha won't neether!  😯  I guess after the tooling ($60 for a 15mm. ball end mill,) resins (Around 125,)  design time (6 hours already & likely 12-15 total,), prototyping, manufacturing time, and skill set needed to do 'em, I might make a few bucks but 'Profit' is not on the table....

I want these for several of my own cars, and don't wanna give my $ to some turd on Ebay asking way too much for a parts car:  But to invest in making these & not sell a few on Ebay or wherever would be dumb, considering the lack of 'em vs. the need.  I feel I'd be helping the Tyco/Taiyo collectors out, actually.

Very few people- Myself included- would have a prob putting aftermarket lights on their car.  Especially if the option is a C-Note for a used, likely not cosmetically-perfect set.  If these would not be for you, I understand absolutely!  But you kinda made it sound like I'm just another teener that'll mold 'em in RTV, pour in some resin & make a 'Bidness', or questioning my devotion to the hobby if I'd dirty my hands with meager pence.

Rogue Element Components has been designing, machining & selling some of the finest RC parts, all Ltd. editions, exclusively for 20 years & am shutting that aspect down due to inability to keep the lights on. Now that I have time, some lights seem like fun.  I have a gallery on my site (www.rogueelementcomponents.com) if you'd like to see the caliber of work I do.

All I know is, I bring a considerable amount of skill, passion and experience to everything I do:  If I want to make a few $ back on my investment  (literally) well, Pardon Me:  I take exception to the way that comment was written, and it seems you were working up to this holier-than-thou comment from the get-go.  Don't worry, I won't try to hawk my wares here.  Chris  REC

Quote from Chris Cazan on May 14, 2022, 8:33 pm

If I want to make a few $ back on my investment  (literally) well, Pardon Me:  I take exception to the way that comment was written, and it seems you were working up to this holier-than-thou comment from the get-go.  Don't worry, I won't try to hawk my wares here.  Chris  REC

Er...

To break it down.

• "I bet I'll be able to tell 😉"
    • I was referencing the fact I'm a dork. After all, I have spent hours writing crazy stuff like this even analyzing stamps, sprues and plastics. 😄
    • I wasn't questioning your skills. First, I have no idea what skills they are, or how you would mold the parts. Second, I only know that I've personally never seen a replica R/C part in the past 30 years that I couldn't tell was a replica. Even if the mold is close, the plastic, rubber, paper, metal is often a different weight/finish/colour. If your replicas are perfect however, then more power to you.
  • "But nevertheless, I do wish you luck with it 🙂"
    • I literally, wished you luck with it.
  • "I just wonder how much it will cost you.... but I guess once molded, you can make as many as you like."
    • I was thinking aloud that you can at least make your money back, that's all. As in, that's a good thing for you.
  • "So I assume it's more about selling them, than restoring your own cars?"
    • Legitimately asking the question, because I was wondering. In my mind, spending $100 on parts from eBay, seems easier than spending similar money + all the time/effort of designing/molding/making/testing replica parts.
  • (eBay link)
    • Just an example I found of a parts car, but cheaper ones do come up.

Please don't misread or jump on my comments here on this forum, as I have no intention to offend anyone taking the time to contribute here. 😑 The hope is it remains an easy-going forum area, without friction.

Yes, I personally prefer original parts over any sort of replica parts. But there is nothing "holier than thou" about it.  We all collect and enjoy the hobby in different ways, and nothing is stopping you enjoying it the way you want to. And the same for me.

To me, originality means a lot. And this will be the same for many other collectors. You can see this in terms of how much people will pay for original cars in original packaging, etc. Personally, I have no interest in the end value of anything, as all the cars I have are sentimental things that I don't intend to sell. I used to sell a lot, but quit selling entirely a couple of years ago. But, originality still means a lot to me, when I own things. I like knowing that a toy from 1986 is entirely from 1986.  And this feeling is a common principle of collecting worldwide, in every type of collecting - from watches to paintings to furniture to toys. As we all know.

But to others, the joy of the hobby may be more about the appearance of the object (e.g., toy looks nice, depicts the period, and looks complete), rather than the intrinsic origin of every part it is made up of. And that's fine. It's hard to get hold of some parts, and I understand that. It's inevitable that replica bits will be made. Maybe there will even be whole replica cars, one day.

So - my message was actually just reflecting on it all. Hope that makes sense.